Sunday, August 16, 2009

High Risk OB

OK, I know you have been waiting for this update about our appointment with the high risk OB. Sorry I didn't update sooner, but the internet connection wasn't great where we were staying on the Cape and I would get annoyed.
Overall it was a good appointment. She didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, but it was good to meet with her and get her take on the whole thing. She said that the blood pressure meds. I am on are good for pregnancy, which I already knew. She also told us that I can take it up to 4 times a day during pregnancy and currently I am taking it two times a day. She looked at my BP numbers that I had been keeping a record of for the last 2 months. She said I was borderline high before the meds, but that it was good that I am getting it under control now. We talked about my feelings about the last two weeks of my pregnancy. I told her how in my gut, I feel like that is when things were going wrong when I look back on it now. That is when my BP increased even more, I was swollen, etc. She made me feel like my feelings were justified and she listened to everything I had to say. At this point she said that I could stay with my current OB and because they are in the same practice and talk on a regular basis, I can see both of them. I can do some appointments with my OB and then intersperse appointments with her in there as well. That was what we wanted to hear. Dave said he started to have a little panic attack while we were in there when he thought that she might say we couldn't see my OB again, that we would have to move over to just her. We both feel a connection with my OB and we want to keep her for my next pregnancy, so we were both very relieved when we found out I could keep her. I was having a bit of an anxiety attack myself sitting in the waiting room, etc.
Also, the doctor said that when I do get pregnant they will start monitoring me the way I was monitored for Moira earlier, around 28-30 weeks. She also pretty much told me that whatever I want, I can get in so many words. If I am feeling anxious and I want an ultrasound, they can do an ultrasound, I can come in and listen to the heartbeat, whatever. I had asked her if I would get an early ultrasound if we got pregnant on our own. I got an early ultrasound with the RE's office and then got one at 12 weeks with the OB's office. That is when she told me that I could get one whenever I want!! It probably wouldn't be whenever I want, but I am sure they will probably bend over backwards to make me feel at ease during my next pregnancy.
So all in all it was a good appointment. Like I said, it was stuff we already knew, but it was good to meet and know that everyone is on the same page.

5 comments:

Raising Twin Girls said...

Thanks for the Update Alison.

I'm glad you had a good appointment and it is great you keep your OB and see the high risk at the same time. That is how I was monitored with my pregnancy. In a way, it is good that you are considered high risk because you get to see your little bean(s) more often. I had so many ultrasounds I couldn't even count. It was always reassuring to know all was well.
Did you talk about inducing early like 37-38 weeks with this next pregnancy?

Alison said...

Hi Amy! I forgot to add that. Yes, I will have a c-section again no later than 38 weeks. If the baby's lungs are developed at 37 weeks, I can have my c/s then! I had an emergency c/s with Moira and I can't be induced again, so I am opting for another c/s. Labor was just too traumatic for me!

Sarah and Andy said...

Sounds like a great appointment! I'm glad things worked out in your favor and it sounds like they're both wonderful docs! That's awesome that they'll do whatever to help you feel at ease with this next pregnancy:)

Karen said...

I'm so happy to hear that things are moving along for you and this was a good appointment. Thinking of you.

Debbie said...

Alison,

I am so happy your appointment was good overall. I have my fingers crossed for you, friend, that you and Dave "nail it" on your own without any fertility meds needed. :-D

(P.S.-- I can't wait to see you next month!!)